Tuesday 11 September 2007

Detailed Scan

Sunshine went for her detailed scan today at Camden Medical Centre. Definitely a boy. Everything is diagnosed to be normal, though I can hardly make out some of the features that the doctor labelled. I mean, how do you see the eyes in this scan?



Why is it normal for the mouth to be so far from the lips and nose?


Seriously, when I know as little as what I do, I wouldn't know if the doctor is smoking me. But you have to take his word for it when he has as many qualifications on his name card. And we are thankful that the chance of getting Downs Syndrome is rated to be as low as 0.009% since no defects were found at this time, and the risk of developing chromosomal abnormality at age 29 is as low as 0.021%. Not that I have even considered the possibility of such defects.

Sunshine also got quite a lecture from him on how caring for the baby must be taken seriously, that bonding with him during the first 6 years is essential to keeping him out of trouble later in life. Yup, that we appreciate, but quiting her job so she can spend the next 6 years with him? This is a luxury few can afford in Singapore. All in all, I respect his qualifications, experience and professionalism. But it feels like we're talking to an IT consultant. Telling us of risks that we did not consider, then telling us to make unfeasible changes and collecting a high fee for doing a service that essentially changes nothing. How are we going to pay doctors their fees if one of us quits his or her job for 6 years?

No comments: