Friday 1 June 2007

It's a family affair

Both families took the news with joy. Her sister brought down bags of maternity stuff for her and lots of traditional beliefs on what food to avoid, what acts are taboo and likely to cause problems to the foetus. Not that we believe all of it but it is good to know that people are concerned for us.

My mum asked older relatives for similar advise, not having had the chance to do so when it was my sister’s turn. My sis is a doctor by profession and would not refer to such folklore. This is my parents’ first grandchild to take our surname and naturally they would be more excited. It was also heartening for me to hear my mum speak of how my sister’s family can move back to their own home in Marine Parade to make space for us. Having had my room unceremoniously plundered by my parents and occupied by my sister when I got married and moved out, I’m actually relieved to know that my parents still intend to help me take care of my child when it comes.

No comments: